Saturday, November 21, 2009

My dad is a citizen journalist... but im not sure he knows it.

My father has become an internet junkie in the past few years. He's basically broadcasted my entire childhood via facebook photo albums, and he's been writing on this site for a while now. It's basically a bunch of middle-aged folks from our area posting rantings about the town, their life, and anything else they feel like sharing. It's become a kind of social club for my parents. They go to events each year to do exactly what they do online except with drinking and face to face contact. I always found it a little silly, but today I actually took a look at the site. Next to the family postings and chit chat, there is some solid citizen journalism going on. There are forums on local politics, and some of the 'minions' attend town meetings and events to share with the others. They facilitate change in the community, and balance out the one-sided media that exists in Canandaigua, NY. (There is only one newspaper).
It's more than I expected. And even though some of them might be a little crazy, it's pretty solid reporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment