Tuesday, November 17, 2009

journalism doesn't need to be saved by the FCC

this article brought out such strong opinions in myself, I had to share them with a short rant...

Is it really that difficult for newspapers and TV stations to “find its place in the digital age” that they have to bring someone into the FCC to do it? I simply cannot agree with anything this article has to say about saving journalism. It doesn’t need saving.
When Arianna Huffington came to speak at Ithaca College she stressed that the future of journalism is not dependent on the future of newspapers (or TV stations for that matter). As many other things in the world have developed with the expansion of the internet, so has journalism. Huffington spoke of a “hybrid future” that will combine old practices of media and pair them with new. I believe it is that easy.
Online newspapers such as The Huffington Post are successful because they are persistent and perhaps somewhat OCD. A story can be followed and updated from reports of shots being fired to the arrest of the gunman. This is where local news outlets must take advantage. A good, solid 6 o’clock newscast is still important, but an up-to-date (by minutes!) website is even more crucial.
Yes, newspapers will fold, TV stations will shut down, but there are new jobs opening up online for people with those skills. Audiences are now looking for information produced by more than their local media. And the Internet is a way to grab a larger audience than just in your area.
For example, if I am someday living in say, Dallas Texas and wonder what is going on in my hometown 2,000 miles away, all it takes is a few clicks. Or when my Aunt and Uncle’s house burned down outside of Syracuse, NY this past summer I didn’t turn on my television set, I went straight to WSYR’s website, and although the story was minimal (because it hadn’t been on the news broadcast yet) the information was there.
I think the last thing newspapers and TV stations need is to spend more money on some consultant to tell them how to use the internet. For a cheaper route, just hire a student fresh out of journalism college, I’m sure they’ll know how to update and revamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment